Tuesday 1 November 2011

Batman: Arkham City Review


 Since it was revealed last year, many of you have been counting down the days until the sequel to 2009’s smash hit game Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City was released. The number of awards and praise the first game received from critics and the media alike was always going to be hard to live up to. As more trailers were released, excitement grew and grew about the Dark Knight’s second release. Now, the sequel has hit the stores and with numbers in its opening week looking impressive, it’s up to me to decide if Batman: Arkham City is more Christian Bale or Adam West. This Game of the Year contender has got everyone talking.
 Right from the very beginning, you can tell this is a new game. Set after the exciting events of Arkham Asylum, Gotham City has allowed the criminals to live in a closed off area of Gotham, ingeniously titled Arkham City. This area of Gotham is at least 3 times the size to that of Arkham Island and this new area is full of problems with assault, robbery and murder. All of which happen to be the Caped Crusaders speciality.
 The first piece of gameplay you interact with is Bruce Wayne being taken prisoner and having to find his way out of a tough and brutal situation, where it leads to Wayne donning the suit for the first time. Accompanying Batman in the game is some of Gotham’s worst villains. The Joker makes a harrowing return as Batman’s main nemesis. As well as “Mr Jay” making an appearance from the first game, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, The Riddler, Zsasz and Jokers leading lady Harley Quinn. Making their debuts as interactive characters in Arkham City are Penguin, Two Face, Clay-face, Mr Freeze, Rhas Al Ghul, Deadshot, Bane and calendar Man to name all but a few. 
 I personally feel that this variety of enemies in which to face is part of the games overkill. Of course the Joker is the main villain but in the midst of all this he doesn’t fell as important as he does in Arkham Asylum. Many may feel that this variety of characters adds longevity to the game but I for one don’t agree, far too over clouded. In the first game there was Killer Croc, Joker, Scarecrow, Zsasz, The Riddler, Harley Quinn and that was all really. At least you knew who you were up against instead of constantly chopping and changing enemies. I have no idea why Rocksteady added Catwoman as a playable character, she adds next to nothing to the story.
 The combat system is pretty much a carbon copy of the original game. This is a bonus as the combat in Arkham Asylum was outstanding, one of the greatest combat systems I would say. Sometimes though, it seems as though when you go to counter an enemy’s attack, he continues to attack the enemy he is focused on rather than counter which is a bit annoying but that may be down to me and not the game. Takedowns from a distance are also as fun as ever as well. You can glide kick, drop attack or the fan favourite Inverted takedown, where you actually feel like Batman. Gadgets too have had an update with the new game including the Remote Electrical charge, Smoke Pellet and Line Launcher (with the option to walk on a rope). Sometimes you have to be ingenious and work out certain ways in which to take out tougher enemies.
 The story itself is of course all about ultimately defeating the Joker, as well as any other villain who stands in Batman’s way. As I have mentioned before, the enemies feel far too varied in terms of numbers and I feel this makes the story less than the story in the previous instalment. And this is ultimately why I am not as impressed with this game as I was with the last one. Once you have used the grapple hook a few times, beaten several enemies to a bloody pulp and glided through the air, I feel that the game tires a bit. Usually after finishing a game, I would have no problem doing side quests and missions which you can leave til later but I am not impressed with this, as I was with Arkham Asylum.
Right to the Verdict...
 With all the hype surrounding this game, I for one am not won over by it. It seems to me that it is the same thing time and time again. I admit, some of the greatest features that were in Arkham Asylum are still in the game. But the games story, Character "overkill" and overall feel of the game (in regards to gliding, grappling and evading enemies), the story based missions feel as though you are just biding your time until the ending to be honest. I feel it is lacking something. A certain va va voom, something which I can't put my finger on. It's not as if I don't want to love this game as I always thought it had the potential. But with all these blockbuster titles coming out leading up to Christmas, I will be sticking to my "Pow", "Zap" and "Smash" Batman, rather than the updated version. A letdown for me. 
A generous score from me in all honesty.

8/10 


Batman Arkham City is available now on Xbox 360 and PS3

Check out Bits 'n' PC's Games for some great deals.


No comments:

Post a Comment